Thursday, September 9, 2010

Road Trip 2

Taking the last child to college can be somewhat traumatic.  To alleviate this, we decided that as long as there wasn't any reason to rush back, we'd hit the road and take our bikes along.

Our first stop (before dropping the boy off) was Provo, Utah where we attended the BYU women's soccer game (we won!).  The next morning we met up with some of Mark's imaginary friends and rode the Alpine Loop which was about 40 miles and had much climbing.  Here is the group at Sundance:
 This is the back of Mt. Timpanogas:

That evening we attended the BYU Football home opener (we won!) and the next day headed to Rexburg.  BYUI has a really nice campus and David's apartment seems nice:

However, coming back from the Walmart we saw this truck..... I debated whether to post this picture, but Mark and I were laughing so hard, I decided what the heck:
 Because we were able to get David settled in one day and there were no further activities for parents, we decided to drive through Yellowstone.  It was really fun and we got to add Montana to the list of states we've driven through, even if it was only a tiny corner.  We have actually been in 7 states in the last 7 days!

We went through the west entrance, where this little town was:
Not too far into the park we saw:
We stopped to see Old Faithful and some of the other hot springs:
Further on we saw Yellowstone Lake, the largest mountain lake in North America:
We also saw the Grand Tetons from both sides.... the west side as we left Rexburg and the east side as we left Yellowstone and headed for Rock Springs. 
We spent the night in Rock Springs and then drove to the Denver area to play with our grandchildren.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

I'm so glad that you posted that picture. You know that that business name was thought of in the middle of the night by two drunk guys, laughing.

I've actually never been to Yellowstone (and have only seen the ugly part of Wyoming), so I really enjoyed those pictures. I've got to go someday!

Allison said...

Great pictures. I totally agree with Lisa, "Duuuuuuuude. We should start a company, and we could call it Steel Erection." "No, man, ULTIMATE. It's got to be ultimate."

And Doov's in an apartment? No dorm? Will he be cooking for himself? Did you stock his freezer with Bagel Bites? He knows he should drink some orange juice to prevent scurvy, right?

You know, you could drive just two days more and visit me. Kansas is boring, but Kentucky and Tennessee were very pretty.

laura said...

Ahahahahaha. Oh Moomsie, I like you.

I wanna take a road trip with you and Paps!

Anonymous said...

That truck cracked me up .. but it hurts so much to laugh right now .. so I could only laugh on the inside (really hard).

Glad David is off to school and everything is okay. Glad you got to make a wonderful road trip out of it. What beautiful pictures. I've never been to Yellowstone. Looks gorgeous.

TripleM said...

Since you've met me once (or twice), I'm a college friend of Sarah. I just have to say, living in Idaho Falls, Idaho, every time I see that (and others from the same company) truck, I laugh too.

Marylynn said...

Sounds like a fun road trip! Did you see Eric or my dad at the game? We were going to go but with 3 little kids decided it wasn't worth it!