Monday, May 4, 2009

Tuxedos

What is it about a man in a tuxedo? I have always loved James Bond in a tuxedo, looking so suave and debonair. I especially loved it when David, age 7, wore a tux at Sarah's wedding. He was adorable.Now, ten years later, he recently attended the Junior Prom, once more decked out in a tux. I can't believe that 10 years have slipped by.For the last week before the Prom, I quizzed David on where they were going to dinner (a friend's house, they're having it catered), where they were going after (another friend's house, his mom is making breakfast and we're going in the hot tub), and how they were getting to the Prom (can I drive even though I haven't had my license for a year?) Um, no. I won't bore you with my points (it's illegal) and his points (it's a stupid law, you're ruining the prom for me). I suggested riding with someone who was legal. I asked how Katie's parents felt about it. Eventually, I talked to Katie's mother on the phone and found out that they were also opposed to it. They'd be happy to drive them, we'd be happy to drive them, her mother had access through work to a car service she could arrange. All suggestions were met with "LAME." (Both her parents are lawyers.) David quizzed me on whether the car service was a minivan. I wasn't sure, but told him I thought it was more like a Lincoln Town Car. "Well, how are we going to fit 6 people in?" "I don't know, maybe it's extra long, like maybe a small limo." Eventually, David realized that we weren't changing our minds about this and on Saturday afternoon (the Prom was that night), Katie's mom arranged to have a driver pick them and two other couples up and drive them from the house where they were having dinner to the Prom, then from the Prom to the after-party, and then home. This car had been booked previously but the parties had canceled at the last minute. Oh, and her mom wanted her home at 1:00 am. Sweet! So, I drove him to Katie's house where we took pictures. Then her mother and I drove them to the house where they were having dinner and took more pictures.When he got home, I asked him how the evening went. First words out of his mouth: THE LIMO WAS AAAAWWWEEESOME!!! One of the couples that they had to pick up were having dinner at a restaurant in downtown Pleasanton, so as they drove slowly down Main Street, they were standing up with the sun roof open reveling (and being obnoxious, I'm sure) in their luxury. I can't believe he spent so much time whining about this. He reminds me of Donovan and the chocolate cake incident!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

David looks so much older! My goodness! His date is gorgeous. I love that they wore yellow - they totally stand out in that group picture. Glad they had a wonderful time. You can't go wrong with a limo. How funny.

Afton said...

The Prom!? He is becoming quite the young man. And yes, he is quite handsome in a tux. His date is a cutie too. Love the dresses!