Monday, June 22, 2009

Dad

After Christmas, my sister, Carolyn, called me very excited. She had received a device for Christmas that transferred recordings from cassette tapes to mp3 files and she had successfully transferred a recording our father had made of himself singing some of the songs he loved to sing to us. She sent them by email to all of her siblings and wanted to know what we thought. I assured her that I would listen to the recordings when I had some time alone, and the next day, in the quiet of the morning I listened to my father's voice for the first time since before he died almost 3 years ago. The tears streamed down my face. It was so good to hear his voice, so familiar, so comforting. My dad loved to sing. He was truly a man with a song in his heart. He had silly songs, sentimental songs, happy songs. He knew a song about EVERYTHING, and if he didn't, he would make up words that fit the situation. Yesterday was Father's Day and in a few days it will be the anniversary of his death 3 years ago. As I reflected on how lucky I was to have Morris Thurston for my father, I decided to put together some pictures of him to go along with a signature song of his:

5 comments:

Lisa said...

That was so awesome. It's nice to hear Grandpa's voice again.

Allison said...

Why oh why did I do my make-up before watching that? Cute video, moomy; Mabes loved hearing Grandpa sing.

Becca said...

Yup...I bawled like a baby...but that's not really a surprise.

Afton said...

Thank you for sharing. I miss him so much. And I love listening to him sing. Thank you.

Anonymous said...

OK, so I cried, too. I want to know how to put the music and pictures together. Love you, Dad and Mom, and miss you! Care