Tuesday, September 15, 2009

business time*

*NOT associated with Flight of the Conchords! On Sunday, I was in the library at church preparing music for choir practice and one of the ladies in my ward asked me if I did embroidery for hire. This summer she had tried to call me to put something on an apron for her, but I was gone for two weeks, so she didn't ask me to do the project for her. We chatted about stuff I usually embroider on and I mentioned that I usually get my aprons from Williams-Sonoma and then pick off the tag so I can embroider the name at the top of the apron. She said, "Oh, you can get chef's aprons at the Business Costco, but only in black and white, and they're very inexpensive." I asked about dinner napkins and she said that they had lots of restaurant stuff. I decided to check out this new resource. I had looked at aprons and restaurant-quality napkins online, but wasn't sure of the quality, so I never ordered anything. I had also tried to find decent napkins at various discount stores, but never was satisfied with the selection. I love Costco, but I'd forgotten about the Business Costco. As I walked through the door, my steps slowed so that I could take it all in. It was then I realized I needed more than just napkins and aprons. I needed new cookie sheets, at $3.99. I swear I used to get them from Smart and Final for $7.50. I neeeded silicone baking liners to fit said cookie sheets, $11.99, at Williams-Sonoma they are $25. I needed a pack of silicone pot holders, 4/$14.29, I'm saving two for a gift! Aprons were 2/$6, at Williams-Sonoma they're $19 each. Napkins were 12/$12, I can monogram to my heart's content. I even got a Table Bell for $2.49, because who doesn't need one? The 17-year old thinks it's great fun to bang on it and yell "can I get some service?" but it's really for games at Seminary. As I unloaded all of my treasures into my car, I realized that I had forgotten to buy eggs. I hate it when I forget things. But that just means I get to go to my regular Costco later this week. They have frozen yogurt at that one.

7 comments:

laura said...

Hahaha ohhh moomois. You are so cute, and I also have to give props to Doov because really, that's hilarious. And you totally SHOULD start doing embroidery for hire! I bet you would get a lot of business.

Sarah said...

I LOVED Business Costco - there's one in Hayward. They had some goooooood finds. I'm so jealous.

wanda said...

Yeah, I went to the one in Hayward. I'd totally forgotten how much I loved it.

Allison said...

I was just thinking about how I should have hit up the Business Costco when I was home for Christmas. Their cookie scoops are like $2--much better than the $15-20 I've seen elsewhere. And I was just thinking that a table bell sounds like fun, but I think Em would do the same as Dave. It could get old fast.

Lisa said...

I didn't even know there was such a thing as "Business Costco." I'm quite curious now.

Anonymous said...

There's no better way to spend $1.35 than on an over-sized cup of Kirkland Signature frozen yogurt (I prefer the chocolate).

dlt said...

I thought I'd check out your blog and see what you've been up to lately. I hadn't heard of Costco Business Center and checked to see if there's one in my area. Unfortunately, the closest one is in LA. It sounds like a good concept and I'm hoping we get one in Orange County. I like your cute holiday baskets, by the way. You just move from one creative project to another.