Saturday, February 27, 2010

if it's raining, you must be baking

Yesterday I went on an adventure over to the city (SF) with 4 other women.  We wanted to check out a place that salvages architectural stuff from chateaus and villas in Europe.  It turned out to be a bust.  Everything was very expensive.... like a pair of finials?  $7500.  So back in Jana's suburban we decided to go to Berkeley and hit a few stores and have lunch at an Indian restaurant one of the women suggested (she is Indian, so she should know good food, right?)  It was good and I don't usually like Indian food.  All the way home it was pouring rain and I made the comment that now I would have to go home and bake cookies, because it was that kind of day.  One gal suggested that I go to Smart & Final and get their chocolate chunk cookies that she said were REALLY good.

I got to thinking about that later as I launched into making snickerdoodles (I still have plenty of chocolate chip cookies in the freezer.)  I have always associated rainy days with baking and consequently my daughters (and granddaughters) do, too.  But it's not just wanting a sugary treat--I can definitely find those on my own without baking.  It has to do with the warmth, the smell, the dough, and spending time puttering around in the kitchen waiting for them to bake.  Yes, I could have gone to Smart & Final and purchased some cookies that were probably delicious.  But the smell of cinnamon wouldn't have hung in the air for the rest of the day if I had.

That is, until the smell of popcorn replaced it as Mark and I sat down with a large bowl of buttery goodness and watched a movie.

5 comments:

kris nielsen said...

oh, I want to come over!!!!

p.s. loved the Flora, Malificent comment! Made me laugh.

Becca said...

All of your children are very grateful that baking on rainy days is a tradition and eating copious amounts of popcorn goes hand in hand with movies. When I tell my friends about rainy days and how I would always come home from school with fresh baked cookies, they remark that my childhood sounds like something out of a cartoon or book.

Anonymous said...

My mom would always make cinnamon rolls on the hottest day of the year. Don't ask me why, but it always seemed to work out that way.

I'm glad you didn't get some lame store bought cookies and call it a day, snickerdoodles sound wonderful right now.

Popcorn sounds good too ...

I need to go to bed before I start snacking.

Anonymous said...

Oh, this son in law is most grateful for that association, too, though it's much more dangerous when you're in naturally rainy regions!

Mary Kaye said...

Schools have rainy day schedules, and so do I. Just ask my children what the Gardner family rainy day schedule is and they will tell you it is mom making cookies. Fortunately I live in the "Valley of the Sun" or my nick name would be Orca.

MK