Friday, March 5, 2010

bring it on

This evening I return home at 6:05 pm after running errands.  It's Fend for Yourself Friday which means I don't cook dinner.  And besides, David has the Sadie's dance to go to.  David got home from swim practice just before me.
David (tentatively):  "Can I have people come here tonight?"
Me:  "Sure, what time does the dance get over?"
David:  "No, I mean before the dance, like have food for us to eat."
Me:  "You mean like hors d'oeurves?"
David: "Yeah. Only kind of like dinner."
Me: "Sure, what time?  And how many people are we talking?"
David:  "Uh, like 6:45 or 7:00?  And there could be as many as 12."

I look at the clock.  It's 6:10 pm.  Thanks for the heads up buddy. 

Let me just say that I love it when my kids want to entertain at our house.  I encourage and welcome it.  But it's nice when they give me more than 30 minutes notice.  I grab my keys and head for my car.  A quick run through the grocery store (David called and downsized the number to 5) and I'm home at 6:35 pm.  I quickly prepare carrots & tomatoes with Ranch dressing, strawberries & pineapple, mozarella sticks with mariana sauce & tacquitos with guacamole, potato chips & onion dip, a sliced baguette with salami, mozarella & cheddar cheese.  Oh, and sodas.  At 7:10 I have it on the table:
At 8:10 pm, the kids have come and gone and I have the kitchen cleaned up.  Two hours since he asked me if I could do it.

I'm pretty awesome if I do say so myself.

10 comments:

Lisa said...

You are amazing!! I would've just said no. Or, "how about sandwiches?" :)

laura said...

Hahaha, Doov is such a loser. But yes, you are awesome!

Sarah said...

I would have said you were awesome even without the heroic meal.

Oh Dave. If he's going to do that, you need to pull out the Lion King bonnet and make him wear it.

Alyson said...

That is pretty awesome. Having a home that my teenager wants to bring friends home to is pretty much the ultimate goal for me. Thank heavens for teenagers "non-pickiness" when it comes to what constitutes "dinner", right?

Anonymous said...

You ARE awesome! That's an understatement. Gosh!

I love David .. he's such a boy. "Oh .. by the way .." He probably told all his friends about it like a month ago. =o)

You're super mom! He owes you BIG.

Anonymous said...

You are the best mom in the world. My mom would have laughed in my face if I had asked her that. I do love my mom, but you rock.

Becca said...

Haha I am surprised that you even entertained that idea...but way to go!! Dave is such a weirdo. Want to come to my house for Oscar night and make appetizers for us?!

Tam Tam said...

i want to be you when i grow up. i even just shared with the husband how awesome you are.

Afton said...

You Rock! I don't even think my mom could have done all that so quickly and so perfectly. :)

kris nielsen said...

Super Moms unite! Here's one. When our Laura was senior class president and they won spirit week, she announced over the loud speaker at the football game that all the seniors were invited to her house after the game to celebrate. Fortuantely only 15 people showed up.