Thursday, March 25, 2010

Happy Birthday, David!

So, it's finally happened.  A day I truly thought would never come.  After 34 years, I no longer have any minor children.  The youngest has turned 18 years old. 

Eighteen and a half years ago when I, somewhat apologetically, told our older 5 children, ages 4, 7, 10, 12, 15 that we would be having another baby in 6 months they shouted for joy!  He has been pampered and doted on.  He was a life-sized doll for the girls.  He was a trick pony.  He was pushed around in a laundry basket sitting on a pillow like he was a king, adored by his fans.  He was also the source of embarrassment at times (something involving relieving himself on the driveway as an older sister and her friends drove up.)  He got into things he wasn't supposed to.  Like my lipstick....  You should have seen the couch cushion!

But he has been a delightful child, always easy going.  Sometimes TOO easy going, which can drive me crazy.  I had him when I was 38 1/2 years old and he has helped keep me young.  Sometimes he would be in the middle of playing with his toys and stop and look at me in the kitchen or wherever I was and say, "I love you, Mom."  (melt)  He has a soft spot in his heart for little children and is very good to spend time with them.  Probably because so much kindness and love was shown him from his siblings.  He was funny and quick witted at an early age, sometimes, it seemed, beyond his years.  He still is.  Something that hasn't always been appreciated by his teachers and coaches.

I am going to miss him in September when he goes to college.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is such a sweet post for a very sweet young man. 18? Wow. That's strange. I think he had to have just turned 12 when we came into the ward in Fremont. Time sure does fly by. Happy Birthday David! What are you guys going to do with no kids at home? PARTY!!

Sarah said...

Um, do we in fact know that he IS going to college? (love you doov!)

And where's the picture of him in just his Mickey Mouse pants?! Or the Lion King bonnet?

laura said...

Hahaha oh Doov. He really is a champ.