Monday, March 15, 2010

sewing like the wind

About a month ago I was feeling a little down about my abilities as a seminary teacher.  When I feel inadequate I need to spend time in my sewing room.  It's what I know, where I can reassure myself that I am good at something.  Before I could do that I needed to go with the lovely Wendy to a quilt show for some inspiration and some retail therapy.  (She who has the most fabric at the end, wins!)  We saw this pattern hanging in one of the shops and Wendy said she had it (Wendy has everything!) and would loan it to me:
 
So I made this quilt top from that pattern with some fat quarters I bought at the quilt show and went online to find the border fabric.  I love internet shopping!

It is always exciting to see how something turns out when the pattern looks so different.  Then I made this quilt top from a kit that I bought:  (it looks out of alignment because of the angle I photographed it at)  It may or may not be for a little girl who is getting baptized.

Along the way, I decided I needed a table runner and made this for my kitchen table.It's been a good month. I feel like I've accomplished something.

There is a correlation between making quilt tops and teaching seminary.  Sometimes a class is like the quilt you make from a kit.  It comes complete with a picture of how it will turn out.  And sometimes a class is like using a pattern that looks ho-hum, but forces you to imagine the possibilities.  I may never know how this class turns out, but I'm hoping for the best!

6 comments:

laura said...

I think you are really cute.

Anonymous said...

Amazing! You are so incredibly talented. Good work! I need to learn to sew.

Sarah said...

Swoon! This must be why, of late, I feel the need to sew things. SOMETHING in my life needs to show progress! Loving the quilt for whoever may or may not be getting baptized...

Amy said...

Beautiful quilts. I love quilting and sewing but haven't done much since the boys were born. Now that I have my sewing machine in a room w/o a crib in it I will be getting back to it soon.

Katie Ross said...

I don't know how that happened! I am not Amy but that's the message I wrote.

Katie

Becca said...

Oh moomy you should never feel inadequate. But I know how you feel! I was feeling quite inadequate the other day too...but I wish I had a room like you do to do something I'm really good at. So instead, I just picked up the phone and talked to be people because that's what I'm good at. =)