Sunday, October 24, 2010

an adventure

This last week I did something I've never done before.  I went on a "Girls Weekend."  I know plenty of other people who have done this, and I've done a "Sisters Weekend," but for me this was a first.

It came about because two of my bike group girls (Sandy and Leslie) were going to BYU parent's weekend and they wanted to combine that trip with getting together with two women who used to live and bike here (Patti and Chris.)  Another of the bike group girls (KC) was going to go as well.  I had been invited to go, but was reluctant because I didn't really know the two Utah women and didn't want to feel out of place.  But they talked me into it, and it was really fun. Let me just say that these women are amazing.  They are strong. They are beautiful inside and out. Some have been through a lot. They have made it easy for me to adjust to our move two years ago by welcoming me into their midst.

We flew out Wednesday morning, and KC drove to the airport.  She flies frequently and parks in the "premier" parking area which gets you right next to the airport and fast passes through the security line.  Sweet!  We stayed at Leslie's family's condo in Midway.  Condo is misleading.  It has six bedrooms.  We met up with Chris and Patti, drove the Alpine loop and enjoyed the beautiful fall colors. 
 
We hiked to a waterfall near Aspen Grove and had dinner at Sundance. 
 
We giggled into the night and watched a chick flick and ate junk food.  Thursday we rented a 6 person ATV and drove up into the area above Midway. I couldn't believe the colors of the aspens.
 
We acted like kids, driving through a stream that crossed the road over and over to get just the right picture.
 
Afterward we cleaned up and drove to SLC to a lacrosse game that KC's son was playing in.  We came back to the condo and played games and ate and laughed some more.

On Friday we had breakfast at the Homestead and the BYU moms headed off.  More talking and laughing.  Later that day we picked up KC's son and friends and met up with Patti and her husband in Park City for dinner.  My crown roast of beef ribs was amazing. 
 KC and I got a hotel room in SLC.  They had very cool bathrobes for us to use.

Saturday I spent time with Becca.  She treated me to breakfast for my birthday and I dragged her to a quilt store and a crafty and home decor place.  It was fun to see her.

This whole outing seemed a very decadent thing to do, but Mark pointed out that it was one of the perks of being an empty nester.  It sure was fun!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

This is one of the cutest things I've ever seen. How cool are you moms? Hiking and ATVing... I love it.

Sarah said...

Oh Moomsie-daisy, I'm so happy for you! What a great time.

Anonymous said...

What a great time! How fun! Glad you got to do it. Gosh .. being an empty nester DOES have its perks huh!? =o)

laura said...

Oooh, funsies! I'm glad you went, that looks awesome. Also, I want to snuggle up to you in that bathrobe picture!

Dawn said...

Happy Birthday, Wanda. It looks like you had a fabulous time. I was in Park City the weekend of the 15th, and it was gorgeous. I knnew, though, that it would be even prettier the weekend you were there. It snowed there today, however--hard to believe.

kris nielsen said...

Hey, this empty nester was in Midway last week too. The colors were beautiful through the canyon. Alison was driving and had a hard time keeping her eye on the road.