Thursday, November 11, 2010

Louie Ostler September 18, 2000- November 11, 2010

Louie is the only dog I have ever had, so I have none to compare him with, but in my opinion, he was a really good dog.  He was patient beyond belief with Emaline who thought he was her personal plaything.
He was warm and loving and liked nothing better than to curl up next to someone who was watching TV or reading a book or napping.  He had a big smile on his face while someone was walking him.  He rarely barked and never bit anyone.
Today he left us quite unexpectedly.  He hadn't been eating as well lately, but sometimes he did that.  He wasn't chasing the ball quite as energetically either.  But last night as I walked him he seemed just fine and happy to be outdoors cruising along at a brisk pace.  This morning while I was drying my hair he came upstairs and collapsed on my bathroom floor, looking so pathetic and hardly breathing.  I rushed him to the veterinarian.  He had nodules (cancer) on his liver and spleen that had ruptured and he was bleeding out.  He died without assistance from them.  I said goodbye to him, sobbing hysterically.  I never thought I would react that way, but for the first time, someone I was caring for, someone I was responsible for, someone who was relying on me to make it better, died.
I am glad that he didn't have to suffer for a long time.  He was a good little baba (Rebecca's nickname for him) and will be greatly missed.

16 comments:

laura said...

Yithe ooh.

Anonymous said...

Normally I don't care much for pets but I loved your Louie! I'm sad to see him go.

Alyson said...

Oh no....I'm so sorry to hear:( While it's good to know he didn't suffer, and that he was loved all the way up to the end of his little life, it's still sad to have to say goodbye.

Janet Perry said...

I hadn't heard Louie died. How sad! Who would have known a dog would become such an important part of the Ostler family?

Louie was a good dog.

Allison said...

I didn't realize it was "yithe ooh."

I love that picture of Louie on the bed. Oh, Yewie...

Lisa said...

I am so sorry :( He sounds like such a great dog--I'm sure he will be missed.

Sarah said...

the picture of him in the pillows on your bed is the greatest photo of him of all time.

I still can't believe it.

Morris Thurston said...

I'm so sorry. It made me think how sad I would be if Emma suddenly died. Maybe it's better we come another time?

Dawn said...

I feel your pain, Wanda. Boy, do I...and I'm very sorry you've had to go through this.

Marylynn said...

I'm sorry to hear about Louie! I know how you feel, we had our dog for 8 years and he was so good with our kids.

NancyO said...

What a shock! I still can't believe it - very sad.

Ruthann said...

Thank you, Wanda, for sharing those pictures of Louie. You were lucky to have such a wonderful dog just as he was lucky to be with such a big family full of love and happiness. He had a great life.

Mary Kaye said...

I am so sorry. I understand completely. Having never been allowed to have pets growing up, I had little patience for them and only had dogs to appease my husband and children. I treated our schnauzer poorly. Pushing him away when he wanted attention or to be cuddled. As he was dying, much to my surprise I sobbed uncontrollably. All he wanted was to be loved and I couldn't give that. So I promised him I would be better with both people and pets. So now we have our Jack Russell Barkley who unlike Louie could never be described as patient with children or "good"! But he is a funny dog in an odd way and we love him in spite of his flaws, and will cry when he is gone too.

Jazzy Cher said...

I saw the title of your post in Lisa's list of blogs and immediately said, "Oh!!!!" (imagine kind of a whiny tone with that.) I don't know if it was the fact that I just got some bad news in Lisa's post, or if it's that I always knew that the reason I didn't want a pet was because I couldn't handle it if it passed away....but I cried like a baby when I read this :-( So sorry!!!
--Cheryl

kris nielsen said...

Wanda, I am so sad to read about Louie.

Anonymous said...

I really don't know how I missed this post. This made me cry - honestly! (okay .. I cry at EVERYTHING .. but still) It just makes me so sad. Mallory loved Louie - he was a wonderful dog. I LOVE the picture of him in all the pillows on your bed. I'm so sorry for your loss .. I'm glad he didn't suffer.