Saturday, November 1, 2014

A Little Road Trip

Last week we drove to my brother's home in Orange County to visit.  Unfortunately, I didn't take any pictures while I was at their house.  On the way home, we stopped in Santa Barbara to visit our most excellent friends, Jim & Karen.  We have known them since our college days and had the good fortune of living in the same city as them for several years.  They were our movie-going buddies and gelato-eating buddies.  Fabulous, mellow people who have 10 kids.  Their house was and continues to be a constant party.
Mission Santa Barbara

They drove us around Santa Barbara, showing us the sights.  We ate dinner at a restaurant on the beach, saw a movie, ate gelato, laughed and reminisced.  Santa Barbara has an old town area that is quaint and charming.

The next morning, Jim cooked us a fantastic breakfast before church which included some fancy eggs (I can't remember what it was called!) and crepes.

Jim, Karen, Wanda, Mark

After church, we headed to Solvang.  I know I was there when I was a kid, but don't remember it, so it was fun to walk around the town and buy a pastry to munch on. Solvang was founded in 1911 by a group of Danes seeking to establish a community and escape the harsh winters of the midwest.  My grandmother came to this country from Denmark, so it was fun to see what her town might have looked like.





Mission Santa Ines is in Solvang as well.



We've driven up and down 101 dozens of times and never took the time to stop in this area and we are glad that we did!



3 comments:

Morris Thurston said...

Nice pics! Wow, ten kids! That's a lot.

Sarah said...

KAREN LOOKS THE SAME. And Jim hasn't aged much. That's nice that they still go to church since they have obviously sold their souls or something.

Becca said...

Jim looks like Steven Martin...I assume people have already noticed this but I haven't seen him in awhile!