Saturday, June 5, 2010

Day 11 - Paris

Today was hot, probably over 85 degrees. It was very crowded in Paris today (as it is on weekends) and I couldn't imagine what it would be like in August when it was hot and even more crowded. And the smell of body odor is powerful here. I don't know, maybe it's like that in New York, too, but I haven't been in NYC when it was hot.

We began the day with a quick look at La Place des Vosges. It was in an apartment that overlooks this square that Victor Hugo penned "Les Miserables."
Next, the Louvre.
We saw the usual tourist things: Mona Lisa, Venus de Milo, Winged Victory. I like the Rubens room because I did a paper on him for my Humanities class in college. David was amazed at the size of some of the paintings that we saw.

For lunch (I had some delicious Lasagna Bolognese - so creamy and cheesy)we sat at some tables that faced a little square.
 Pretty soon some musicians came and set up and played some very good classical music.
David was quite bothered by the women who chain-smoked at the table in front of us. Smoke really effects his allergies. It is surprising how many people smoke here.

Next stop, St. Chappelle and Notre Dame. (I posted a picture of the outside yesterday.) Lots of people and a long line at St. Chappelle. But after Chartre it was a bit disappointing. The stained glass was pretty, but I liked Chartre better. In Notre Dame an organist was practicing bits and pieces of songs, but I really wanted him/her to really launch into something awesome.
We came back to our rooms for an hour or so break (getting soft, I know) and then headed to the Arc du Triomphe.
We climbed the 284 steps to the top for some fabulous views.
We ate dinner at a restaurant on the Champs Elysses and had a great meal! I had chicken fricassee which I don't think I've ever had before. Mark and David had escargot for starters.
We had some wonderful desserts, too.
All in all a most satisfying meal. We hopped onto the metro and got to the Eiffel Tower for our 10 pm reservation.

Sorry this post is just sort of listing what we did and not terribly interesting, but I think I've run out of steam and ready to make the trip home tomorrow. Au revoir.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love the "play by play". It was a wonderful vacation for me to live vicariously through you! Thanks so much!

Glad you had a great time! Have a safe trip home!

Anonymous said...

I haven't commented until now, but I have been reading every day about your trip and I am soooo jealous! Ostler trips really are impressive; you guys are my kind of travelers!

Afton said...

You're in Paris, and the first things you say is "Its hot...over 85 degrees.." ?! C'mon man! Its 108 degrees here. I don't think you have much to complain about since you are in PARIS! :D love the pictures and I'm extremely jealous of your fabulous trip! Glad to hear you are having a Marvelous time. :o)

Becca said...

Oh but I loved it!! Makes me miss Paris so much! Hehe and I can say that cause I've been there so much and all. =)