Wednesday, June 2, 2010

Day 8 - La Roque St. Christophe, Castelnaud bike ride

Upon opening the shutters this morning, we were greeted by sunshine!  We were very excited.  It was nice to see blue skies and white puffy clouds for a change.

We got in the car and started driving.  This is one of the random chateaux that we passed:
We decided to visit La Roque St. Christophe.  This area (the Dordogne) is covered with huge limestone cliffs jutting out of the river valley.  Many of these cliff areas are sites of former civilizations who have utilized the rock formations as part of their villages.  Houses used today are often built with the rock being the back wall.

As we approached La Roque, the site was impressive.
It was a five level fortress and it was a handy place to hide when the Vikings came pillaging and plundering.  The villagers could gather up their families and climb up to the upper caves and take their ladders up with them, keeping them high above their enemies.

After returning the the house, we grabbed a quick lunch/snack and headed off on the bikes we had rented.  They are hybrids and have seats that have some suspension to them which is handy on some of the backroads here.  We rode 28 miles, circling down to the Dordogne River, stopping in Beynac
to find out more about the canoes we are going to rent tomorrow, and then continuing across the river to Castlenaud high on a hill.  And yes, we rode UP there.  The views from the top were spectacular.

I'm a little frustrated with this stupid program... I can't seem to make the pictures land where I want them to.  Above is a picture of David and I as we pedal along with Les Milandes in the background.  It is a chateau that Josephine Baker owned during the '30's and '40's.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I know .. sometimes blogspot is SO annoying with the way it doesn't let you move pictures around. We get the idea though. =o)

Love the picture of Mark and David (knight and .. midget?) =o) Cracked me up.

Glad you got some good weather. How long are you guys there for?

laura said...

Um, these pictures are amazing. I want to cry from jealousy.

Tam Tam said...

This just seems like an awesome trip. I'm enjoying reading about it! Maybe one day I'll have to visit there for myself. Such history!

Sarah said...

I'm DYING over here. The cliffs, Dad and Dave, the bike ride. Holy crow - you rode up that hill? I'm getting breathless just thinking about it.

NancyO said...

My favorite area. Glad you're finally getting some blue skies.