Thursday, June 3, 2010

Day 9 - Biking and Canoeing on the Dordogne

Another beautiful, sunny day and we had much to accomplish!  Because where Mark is concerned, the longer the list of things seen and done, the better.  Just ask my kids.  Laura will shudder if you say "Paris Death March."  (That will come in a few days, although this time we won't do Versailles, the Louve, Arc du Triomphe and Eiffel Tower in one day.... we'll leave off Versailles!)

Mark and I went out on the bikes this morning for a 33 mile ride.  This area is quite hilly, and after yesterday's ride David was a bit saddle sore, so he stayed home to work on his homework.  I think the pictures will speak for themselves.  It was a really enjoyable ride.  There are so many beautiful wildflowers.  These poppies are on the side of the road everywhere we go:

Wildflowers in the field and a castle on the hill.  It doesn't get any better than that.
 We ended up in downtown Sarlat where we visited a shop to buy some goodies for Nancy.  She really helped Mark plan for this trip and gave us some great suggestions.  I forgot to mention that when we dined in Sarlat the other night, both David and I tried foie gras with a pear sauce.  I can't say I love it, sorry Nancy, but at least I tried it.  Then we had a long climb back up to the place we are staying just outside of Sarlat.
This afternoon we spent on the Dordogne River.  Mark and I were in a canoe and David had a kayak.  We began our 10 mile paddle at Vitrac.  It was a picturesque trip:
We stopped in La Roque Gageac which some people call the cutest town in France.  We had a late lunch/early dinner and walked around the town a bit.  The town in built right up next to the cliffs.
 Here is a picture of the church.  Notice the windows in the rock just above the roof:
Here is a close-up:

Here is another picture of the town.  There is a fort high above built into the rock.
Here is a close-up:
A house built into the rock:
I would have to agree that it is a REALLY cute town.  This chateau was built in the 19th century, so not all that old, but very pretty. 
Along our way on the river we saw some other fortresses/chateaus.  We saw Castelnaud from the river (the one we biked to yesterday) and also had a better view of the one at Beynac:

We landed at Beynac and drove home.  They sure knew how to use rocks around here.  Tomorrow we drive to Paris.

5 comments:

NancyO said...

Well, I guess the geese will be glad to hear I haven't made any foie gras converts!

Sarah said...

That town is KILLING with cuteness.

Allison said...

Love the pictures. All of them, but todays and yesterdays are stunning. Beautiful weather, beautiful scenery...just amazing.

Morris Thurston said...

Sounds like great fun. With Mark around there is never a lack of things to do! He really missed his calling as a tour guide.

Unknown said...

I completely agree with you. I really like this article. It contains a lot of useful information. I can set up my new idea from this post. It gives in depth information. Thanks for this valuable information for all. And of course nice review about the application.
vakantiehuis dordogne