Sunday, July 19, 2009

Back to Work

I don't actually have a job, so when I say "back to work", I'm using that term rather loosely and what I'm really saying is that I'm back working on my hobbies. We got back late on Tuesday night and used Wednesday to catch up on mail, laundry, and checking in with my kids. Oh, and Laura came from New York for a few days, so there was serious visiting to do with her! By Thursday morning at 8:30 am I was back out on my bike trying to rid myself of the effects of the raspberry mousse. Actually, I didn't really gain weight on the trip, but my goal is still to lose another (dare I hope) 10 lbs. That afternoon I realized that I had a bridal shower to attend that night and needed to get busy on the gift I had planned. I worked from 3:00 until 7:15 on these:I'm not sure that the brides I've given these to fully appreciate the time and money that goes into these. The dishtowels are from Williams-Sonoma and run 4/$18, so just without time and thread they're not cheap. Then the next morning (Friday) I got up early and did this on an apron for a birthday breakfast: When I got my embroidery machine 2 1/2 years ago, I told Mark that it would never pay for itself. That wasn't the purpose of the machine. I wanted to be realistic--it was for pure enjoyment and satisfaction. Something for me. As a mother raising six children, I've always felt that it was important, even necessary, to have something that I enjoyed doing that wouldn't be undone by the next day, and more likely in the next hour. Things like laundry, doing the dishes, cleaning up the toys are done and undone everyday. Sewing was always something that I could look at for years afterward and say, "I did this" and be proud of my accomplishment. I feel that way now about my kids. I can look at them and say, "I did this" and be proud, but when they are little and you are in the throes of battle, you don't feel that way, thus the necessity for something else creative. I'm sure that if I were in to writing, decorating, painting, genealogy, those would have done the trick, too. I've kept track of the embroidery projects I've done in the last 30 months, mostly so I don't forget what I gave to who. I don't want to give someone the very same dishtowel on their next birthday! So now, just for me, I have to post some pictures of past projects. It helps me remember what I've been doing with my time:Saturday morning I was on the bike again, riding with Mark. We covered 44 miles in record time for us, averaging 15.8 mph. At one point we were cranking at 22 mph on the flats. I could almost believe I was 25 years old. Except when I was 25 I couldn't have done that.

6 comments:

Lisa said...

Jonathan's "blankie" is the one you made for him with his name and birth date--I love it! Although don't be surprised if I call you one day begging for a duplicate :) :)

wanda said...

Um, is that an announcement?!!?

Sarah said...

And every time I see one of those towels (bath, dish, whatever) or pillow cases or quilts or stockings (well, those are only at Christmas, duh), we think of you and know we are lucky to have such a clever mom/grandma. And such a hot one. Smokin.

Alyson said...

You are an inspiration to me. You help me believe that one day, the day really will come when I will actually have time for the hobbies I so love. I sewed a quick skirt for Olivia over the weekend - the first time I've turned the machine on in nearly 6 months. And I'm falling far behind on my scrapbooking again, when I was getting so on top of it a few months back. I did buy myself a new pair of running shoes today, and promised myself that when Grant starts preschool in September, I'm going to start riding my bike more as well! You're amazing!

Katie Ross said...

I still have quite a while before things I do aren't undone- every minute. You can add to your list of sewing achievements two more things. One (two, actually) of my favorite gifts the boys received were the blankets you made with their names & birth dates embroidered on them. Thanks again!

Tam Tam said...

hhehe...I would like to say that we do appreciate the blanket you made for Aspen for his baby shower like a million years ago. It's so faded and worn out. And that's the blanket he likes to put on me sometimes in the mornings to make sure I'm warm or something! Currently it's on my bed.
I think Aden was saying I should ask you to make us one for our next baby...but...I can't ask that...or can I???