Friday, July 10, 2009

A Low Key Day - July 8

Dawn and I began the day with a walk. They don't really call it hiking here, they just walk all over the hills. We met a group of walkers that had come up for the day from Lancaster. They were part of a walking club. One of the men chatted with us and was most amiable, telling us of his trips to the States. They had walking poles, boots, and a map showing all of the trails in the area. He invited us to accompany them, "providing you can keep up." Uh, excuse me? You think you can outwalk me? I've dusted people WAY younger than me, and this guy was older. In fact, I've yet to meet someone who could walk FASTER than me. Granted, there are those that hike faster, but still.... So anyway, we walked with them for a while, but soon pulled ahead and were off on our way. We saw beautiful scenery (as usual) and this lovely little steam train that runs from Newby Bridge to Lake Windermere (by the way, I misspelled it before, sorry).We sort of treated today as our "sea day." Your know, when you are on a cruise, that's the day that you just hang out on the boat. We did some laundry and spent some time researching what we wanted to do tomorrow. In the afternoon, Mark took us exploring in Barrow-in-Furness where we saw Furness Abbey, among other things. Do you get the feeling that we like ruined abbeys?

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I have loved all of these posts! I love all the scenery and beautiful buildings. How wonderful. It looks like you guys have had wonderful weather. Gorgeous pictures. How long are you guys going to be there?