Wednesday, July 1, 2009

What a Difference a Bike Makes

Right now I'm in the Dallas airport waiting for our flight to London. We have a 4 hour layover, so we have time to kill. Mark and I are joining my brother and his wife, Morrie and Dawn, for a jaunt around England. More to follow on that in the next two weeks with pictures! Almost two weeks ago, Mark and I got new road bikes. He represents Look USA and was able to get us a good deal. Up until now, we've always ridden hybrids (a little fatter tires, a little slower) but that was okay, because we were riding for exercise. And besides, how much difference could a road bike make? I remember one of the first times I rode with the ladies in my bike group (otherwise known as the biker chicks!) Sandy asked me if I'd ever get a road bike. Oh no, I said.... Well, I have eaten my words, and oh my gosh, it makes a huge difference! I've had to work really, really hard to keep up with these gals. Until now. Nine months of resistance training has paid off. I guess it's their fault: Mark has seen a big difference, too. He came home from a ride yesterday morning that he used to average about 14 mph on and he had averaged 17.1 mph. We actually look like serious cyclists now. Look out Lance. And just for the record, in the last 5 months, I've ridden over 2500 miles and finally dropped 10 lbs. Of course, I probably would have been able to drop more if I'd give up chocolate chip cookies. But I can't do that. I ride to eat.

1 comment:

laura said...

Way to go Moom! And that is totally how I exercise. I'm like, "Self, if you run one more mile you can have ice cream tonight!" Heh.