Wednesday, July 8, 2009

Is It Better to Be a Duke or a Lord? - July 7

The weather today in the morning wasn't quite as nice as it previously has been--a bit rainy, so we didn't get out and about until the afternoon. We decided to go to Holker Hall, which has been the family house of Lord and Lady Cavendish for 400 years. The Cavendish family has the title of the Duke of Devonshire (eldest male) and the lesser title of Lord Cavendish. Interestingly enough, we learned from the guides that the son that the 5th Duke of Devonshire (remember the movie "The Duchess) was so hot for when he married to Georgiana Spencer (and they had just one son) was a life-long bachelor and had no children. So the title went to a cousin of his who was the Earl of Burlington. We also asked about the titles like Duke, Baron, Earl, etc. and she told us that the order was Duke, Marquis, Earl, Viscount, Baron, with Duke being the top. Another way to remember it is the first letters of "Did Mary Ever Visit Brighton?" Your welcome! The gardens were lovely with an interesting steps/waterfall. They even have their own stone circle!These two lambs were nursing in tandem quite vigorously. I really felt for the mother! We came home, fixed a little dinner, and Morrie & Mark were good sports and watched "Becoming Jane" with Dawn and I.

4 comments:

Sarah said...

I was going to say it's like the square/rectangle thing - all Dukes are Lords, but not all Lords are Dukes. But then, you know I would know. Also, and this is said with the utmost love, do not end a sentence with the word "I." One of my biggest pet peeves is people who refuse to use the word me. Take out the other person so the I stands alone and see if the sentence makes sense. I let the other one slide, but twice? My red pen comes out. Love the waterfall stairs.

Anonymous said...

Never end the sentence with "I"? Well, I agree with your edit of Mom's otherwise fine post. I guess one could say that Sarah did not like the last sentence, and neither did I.

Dad

laura said...

BURN.

Sarah said...

This battle of wits is over. How about, never end a sentence with I if you're using another person as well? Oh you know what I meant. And all of mom's posts are fine, but not as fine as her eyes.