Sunday, April 26, 2009

Blondie

I am a crafty person. I love to create things, step back and look proudly at them and pat myself on the back and tell myself how great that item turned out. Sometimes I think myself untalented so I need to do this once in a while to make myself feel like I'm accomplishing something. On one of my daughter's friend's blogs I saw a picture of a maternity shirt that said "I'm crafty. I make children." Exactly my feelings! My greatest creations (and I'll admit I've had lots of help) have been my children. Mark and I have often talked about how we kind of feel, sometimes, like our children are our science fair projects, and we are now at the stage where you are arriving at school, walking proudly into the classroom carrying said project with an immense sense of accomplishment. Allison is one of those projects and I am immensely proud of her. She started out as a colicky baby with a heart defect and required extra attention in those first two years. But almost as if she's been apologizing since then for taking up some extra time, she has been one of the easiest children to raise. In a family with 3 redheaded girls and two dark haired boys, our Blondie sometimes got overlooked by outsiders. Some people didn't realize she was part of our family. She's so quiet, they'd say. Umm, no, you just have to get to know her. She's funny, smart, quick to help anyone, shies away from conflict, huggy, always wants to do what is right, and is a wonderful mother to her own little blonde bombshell. She made up the word "stonks" when she was two years old. As in, "I have stonks in my nose, will you blow it for me?" A fitting word, I think. And the beginning of her own creativity. Happy Birthday, Allison. You will always be our little Blondie.

3 comments:

Allison said...

Thanks Moom! I like the science fair analogy.

Anonymous said...

How fun that you have a blog! I didn't know that! Thanks for finding me and leaving me a comment. How are you guys doing? I love your little quote at the top of your blog about grandmother's being 28. That's how my mom feels too. You're adorable! Can't wait to read more!

Jazzy Cher said...

My favorite memory of Allison is when she & Matthew were playing at their Grandma Thurston's house with my old ukelele. Matthew said, "I wanna play with the tictar!" Allison said, "It's not a tictow, it's a guitow!" I love it when 2-year old correct each other! --Cheryl